I Forge Iron

JABOD Question

I have found with charcoal a trench with strait sides about 4” wide and sloping out to about 8” the other seems to work the best, at least from a fuel conservation point of view. It allowed me to heat a pick head to make a large thinners stake. So that is to say a bit over 1” and over 6” long. As coal doesn’t have as much of an issue with fire spread a bigger bowl works just fine. 

Awesome yeah that makes sense for charcoal. Build a structure to fit the size of fire you are intending to use.

The bottom of my bowl is a 4 inch square with the 1inch depth below the lowest point of the tuyere to catch the clinker and slag. The diagonal leading to the 8inch square top are pretty steep so hopefully that helps focus the fireball in the center of the pot.

I'm stoked to get the forge fully fired up. The coal should be here by Thursday! Now to get some stock in the mean time!

Haha yeah and I haven't even thought of a dradt/hood design yet! Probably won't worry about that until I upgrade the forge lol.

Definitely can get in your head designing something trying to over complicate it. Happens way too often lol