I Forge Iron

blowers

steve keaton

Fan/bower ratings are for total static pressure discharge at a certain airflow rate.  You have only given us the pressure 380 PA (~1.5 inches H2O).  That should be pretty good, provided you don't have a very long duct run, or a lot of offsets in the connection, but it make a huge difference if that is the stalling pressure at approaching zero flow rate (0 CFM) or at a healthy 150 CFM.

Thank you sir for your response. Sorry but I don't really understand. The blower I am considering is described as having 125 cfm and 380 pa. The run will be maybe 14" but probably closer to 12". It, as well as the tureyre (hope I spelled that right) is made of 2.5 inch square tubing, and is at a 22.5 degree angle going up into the firepot. Again thank you for your time...........

Steve, what brand is the blower? Is it new? 

The pressure seems a bit on the low side for a coal/coke forge of that size. 

Do a search for Dayton Blowers. They have a long list of very well priced blowers. When you can run a forge on a vacuum cleaner, a hair or clothes dryer or blowing in a pipe as others will remind me ... :) ..., if you are going to buy a blower, better err on the side of too big than too small. Volume measured in CFM is not so much the problem but pressure to blow air through the mass of coal.  The fan pressure is measured in PSI, Pa,  inches of water or mm of water. You can convert the units using google to compare products. 

Thanks.....I read somewhere on this site that the Dayton 1tdn5 was a good blower. Do you know anything about Dayton blowers and if so could you recommend one? I'm using charcoal right now but I can't get a heat. A dull orange is about as hot as I can get. The blower is a sunlar I think and yes it is new.