I Forge Iron

knife Handle idea

As this has been done a lot for at least 50 years I guess it must work. I had a mexican made knife with a cast in place handle back in the 60's that I bought used back then. It had been cast in a pretty fancy shape and then polished up a bit.

I would try to keep the blade cool as you don't want to have to re-harden the blade afterwards as the quench temp of steels are above the melting temp of Al (Al melts about 1200 degF)

I have a set of kitchen knives that my grandfather made in 1943 that he cast alum. handles around the blades made from old saw blades.
One butcher knife and one boning knife.
He was a Machinist / blacksmith for N & W railroad in Roanoke Va.
Very well made knives and were in continous use untill last year when my mother passed away. ( I retired them to the momento dept. )

Mike Tanner

One thing to remember when you want to ensure a firm and soild fit... The tang should have 1 or 2 pairs of shoulders (flanges at 90 degrees to the blade) that will allow the metal to form around and "seize" onto....

Much less likely to slip free if a crack should ever occur....

In addition, the handle can be poured into a mold, and then the blade can be inserted. Much easier to pour into a small opening without the blade, no chance of the handle material getting on the blade, and lowers the time (a little) that the blade can absorb additional heat....

Just my 2 cents worth...