I Forge Iron

Horizontal disc grinder motor

Ken Kelley

I am researching motors to use for a low-speed horizontal disc grinder. I'm an electrical dummy so I'm fair lost in the weeds in this subject area. However, I do understand dimly that DC motors are best for applications requiring torque over speed and found this motor on Ebay 150231105735. It appears to be what I need but before I plunk down $49 + $12.50 shipping charges I would like to know what those of you with electrical experience think of this machine.

Thanks,

Ken

If you elaborate on your application you may get a better response. I have no experience with DC but My Drill press has a lot of torque on the bottom end through gearing and it works nicely. DC may be a better choice for speed control.

What is the normal horsepower rating on a treadmill motor?

I assume that those are DC because of their speed controls.

I only ask because I have access to one that is headed for the dump and the motor is still good.

I see a lot of them being thrown out from time to time. They would be a good resource for scrounged motors if they have what it takes.

Don

Don there are several folks around who have successfully used the treadmill components. Usually as a belt grinder w speed control. I think that it is best to keep the wiring harness and all, for that is already ready to go. Don't treat it like a washer or dryer and simply snag the motor and trash the rest.

Thanks for you input everyone. However, since I first asked this question my electric motor education has increased by leaps and bounds through contact with a feller on Blade Forums and some judicious wandering around the internet. I found a forum site called the Practical Machinist. One of the subforums addresses the variable speed motor issue in detail. It seems that the best way to go for a variable speed set up is to run a 3 phase motor using a Variable Frequency Device. The VFD is a bit on the pricey side but the motors are relatively cheap. Too much detail to go into here but the VFD/3 phase motor combo definitely seems to be the way to go for my grinder purposes as opposed to the DC idea.

Ken