I Forge Iron

Small attached garage forge

DEEZALL

I am thinking about starting out. I'd like to start in my small single car attached garage. small gas forge that can be moved outside and a decent striking anvil. the rest i can manage later. my question is what precautions do i need to consider being it attached to the house. i have extinguishers and such. anything else? my plan is for hobby. if it grows to be more I'll go from there.

Welcome aboard Deezall glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance. 

Make the forge portable so you can use it outside. Put Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms in every room in the house not just the ones ajoining the garage, CO is insidious and will seep through, over, under, walls, ducts, conduits, crawlspaces, attics, etc. Best to keep it outside all together and downwind. That's not saying people don't do it but even keeping the overhead door and windows open isn't a guarantee.  

Keeping the hot work outside makes it easier to find those pesky HOT pinch offs. Say you're trimming the last 1/8" off a piece of 1/4" rd. stock on the hardy, (a pinch off) They just LOVE to fly off and hide in the dust under a board you'd swear was laying flat on the floor or behind a box or find the ONE spot the sheet rocker missed when he mudded the joints. 

Once you get some experience, you'll learn to recognize hen a pinch off decides to fly off and be able to sort of aim them in a safer direction. Still there is ALWAYS risk doing hot work, I like hedging my bets when possible.

Frosty The Lucky.

That makes a lot of sense Frosty.Thanks for the input!  I do live in the middle GA area, around Macon / Warner Robins, incase any one needs a helper on occasion, or has classes or seminars available. having been a welder/fabricator a good portion of my life, I can read the metal a good bit. But there  are going to be big differences I'm sure.  

Deezall what you suggest works.  I bought a cart from Harbor Freight and lined the top with hi temp kiln bricks (the golden ones with black specks in them) and have my gas forge elevated above the blocks by 4 of those bricks.  So far it bows a tiny bit in the middle but I can easily wheel the forge out and in + have a place to set hot metal.  A chain on the side of the cart holds my tongs and the shelf under it holds all sorts of misc. forging stuff.  I keep a 100 lb tank outside and make sure the wind is not blowing the CO toward my closed garage door.  Yeah, close the door just to be safe.  You don't want to come inside to show your family what you've just forged and find them on the ground or worse.  It's a pain, because every time you forget something you have to go back and open the door but this way it teaches you to stage your tools and work before you light your forge.  Moving everything in and out gets old, but it's worth it to forge safely.  If you want to see a picture of my forge cart let me know and I'll post a picture.  If you haven't read all the threads on finding anvils, take the time to do that and also to check out a copy of Anvils in America from your local library so you know what you are looking for.