I Forge Iron

Probably a newbie mistake

ichi

Im new to blacksmithing and know very little about most things that go with it but I decided to build a gas forge anyways. I tried to do so with little research. The results seem okish (it's heated everything I've put in to a point I can work it but won't get forge weilding temps) but I'm looking for some suggestions on improvements/critiques of it. Also would like to get to a point where I can get forge weilding temps. I know it's probably listed somewhere on this site but I haven't been able to find it. If so please point me in the right direction. I don't mind doing the research myself.

Pics to follow later tonight

5.5 in wide, 8in tall and 24in deep if it helps

IMG_20171122_174117453.jpg

IMG_20171122_174127101.jpg

IMG_20171122_174135898.jpg

IMG_20171122_174252919_HDR.jpg

5.5x8=44x24=880 cubic inch i wouldnt attempt to heat that with anything less than 3 3/4" burners or 2 1" burners (i would go with the 3 to get a more even heat).  Before fixing that issue howeve i would recomend googling wayne coe artist blacksmith and reviewing the forgwnplans on his site.  You can also order anything you need from him

Well, before going to all the trouble to add more burners, I would change out the reducer fitting on this one. Reil started out recommending  a 1-1/2" X 3/4" reducer on his original burner design, which I upped to a   2" X 3/4" reducer if you replace the drilled side hole in the gas pipe with a MIG tip 

I can't tell from your pictures, but if you haven't sealed the wool insulation by ridgedizing you should so you don't have fibers blowing out every time you light it. Raw insulation is a serious health hazard.

Welcome to the forum, if you go to your profile and edit it to show your location, you may be surprised how many members are near you and a lot of answers are location dependent.