I Forge Iron

Question on Material

HWooldridge

I am not a knife maker but I am going to make a stab (pun recognized) at recreating a copy of an old Bowie knife design from the 1830's. I'm doing this as a re-enactor's knife so it will be "aged". The basic model I am copying is the Searles blade at the Alamo. Here is a link to a replica:

Google Image Result for http://www.bladegallery.com/pics/85517_1_n.jpg

Looks like almost a 10" blade and almost 15" overall. I was thinking about 1080 for the blade. What is the general consensus on something this large? Would you oil quench and draw several times? How about handle, pommel and cross guard choices?

Thanks for any input.

If it's a re-enactors knife it should NOT be aged unless they are re-enacting a period much later than the putatative creation date---example if they are re-enacting the American Civil War their 1830's bowie should look like it's 30 years old---not 170+ years old.

If you carry a blade that looks like it's 170 years old and you are re-enacting the 1830's that means the blade would have been made in the 1660's and not look like a bowie at all.

Lots of folks get this wrong; but when I'm a judge for a medieval group I will dock points for having a blade that looks like the museum pieces and not like you bought/made it sometime recently.

I also look for the appropriate fit and finish for the piece as we are often hungup on buffers and belt sanders now days. (On the other hand I have put a polish on a bone hande with a strip of woolen cloth and some sifted wood ashes and a bit of water that I have been accused of using a buffer on---it was suggested in Diver Arts written in 1120 AD! You shoeshine the cloth to get a higher speed on it with the wet ashes as the abrasive)

I also count off if they are too crude for the period and the piece as many folks things historical stuff has to be crude.

Try to talk them into it being aged the proper ammount and then comissioning a replica to carry around nowdays that looks like a 170+ year old version.