I Forge Iron

Beche Power hammers

I am looking at a Beche hammer...possibly...it's 125 kg(275) ram weight, looks similiar to a Nazel hammer. I am curious if anyone has used one before? Or do you know of anyone who has one. Where were they made? Do they have similiar control to the Nazels? Are they worth the money??? Anything would help...thanks

German, top hammer. cant really go wrong with them.

the design is very simple, and been ripped off many times, (russian, chinese hammers are mostly based on their very simple 'horizontal' valveing).

Check the dovetail areas for cracking, same as all used hammers. should be good for working 5" dia bar. if it doesnt make your eyes water when you give it a proper slap it is tired, and will need re-ringing etc, it starts to cost real money then.

if its been installed for a while they can be a real sh&t to dig out, the anvil will be less than 1.5 ton, but the 'sticktion' from the the block sealant (tar or whatever) can result in needing 20 / 30 / 50 ton to crack it, or you need to dig right down underneath the anvil to break the seal.

If its in the ground at the moment get the current owners to agree to 'load' it for you!!!!

It's just my opinion...but it's a mass production hammer.Mine is in service from 1983 or something like this and i own it for 2 years now...sometimes pounding 10Hours/day.They just go ON AND ON as long as u give oil lubrefiation-Have to agree with John about how hard is to move that big fella.It's tall and heavy.Easy to drop on a side :) as mine did twice