I Forge Iron

First knife

markb

I've yet to make a knife, but I spent all day today on this spike knife and it's ready for heat treat so I think I'll have a completed knife soon.

It's a little different, I never liked that spike head so I pounded it out and just let it go.

Learned alot on this. Tell me what you think.
first_knife_001.JPG

first_knife_003.JPG
first_knife_004.JPG
first_knife_002.JPG

Yep, it's a little different alright. Well done. I would never have thought of doing that with the spike head in a million years. What's with the hole? Did you punch it? Are you going to put a lanyard on it? Knife profile and grind are sweet. What did you use to do it? I can't quite see what the transition is between handle and blade. Did you give it a twist or two and then flatten it out? What's the over all length? Just wondering how far you stretched that spike. Must have been a good stretch, what with the spiral and all. Your photo backgrounds are interesting. I think the, shall we say well used, red shop rag shows it off better than the gray steel. Thanks for sharing and keep it up! -Phil

Phil
No purpose for the hole, I just wanted to punch one (learning experience). It was design as you forge and I got a little lost, no plans for a lanyard, but I may wrap the handle.

The profile just appeared and I have trouble with the grind, I have a Jet grinder
JET 8" Bench Grinder with Multitool Belt Finishing Tool - eBay (item 170194110081 end time Mar-15-08 07:32:16 PDT)

I did one twist and flattened it out 11&1/2 inchs finish length.

I tried to do a texture thing on the blade with a ball peen hammer but didn't come out so well, but I learned a lot.

Thanks for your interest
Mark

Hey Mark,

That's smart that you did so much experimenting. That multi-function grinder looks like a good idea to make a lot of different grinding and sanding applications possible. The 1 HP motor must give a bit of brawn too. I believe the grind is one of the most challenging aspect of knife making. Apparently you have to do it about zillion times until you muscles and bones know what they're doing. So keep it up!

-Phil

I got the grinder on sale a couple of years ago for $105.00, very handy but their asking price is way too much for what it is, IMHO.

grinding ugh.....I started a Bowie and ended up with a letter opener.

Another thing I learned, don't work the steel cold. I bent the butt end up to hammer between the 2 tails and did it when it wasn't hot enough, take a look if you click on the pic after it is up you get a close up, also tried to drive a drift thru that hole to make it larger and it cooled the steel very quickly, and cracked it. I guess that little bit of carbon makes a big difference, seems mild steel is much more forgiving.

Mark

I completed one.
Heat treated as Jimmy suggested. Beat the blade a little to enthusiastically, blade marks not intended, and had trouble with the grind, dull belt for one. Went to files and discovered a warp, tried to straighten but didn't get it all out.
Had fun and feel pretty good about the outcome, so I'm going to go beat up another spike.
Knife_1_007.JPG

Nitro
Thanks
I first hot chiseled a groove in the middle of one side with a dulled cold chisel as a guide then used a hot chisel and started cutting through. Alternated each side till I cut through from all sides, then twisted a little and twisted back to open it up. I'm not sure "hot chisel" is the right name, looks like a hatchet I'll take a pic and post it.

That is an awesome handle. Your blade lines look spot on. Your cutting tool is often referred to as a hot cut (tomahawk looking thing). GREAT JOB! Thanks for posting! BTW, I like the looks of your "seasoned gnarly old" hand in one of the pix...the looks of a true hand working craftsman for sure.

Phil
The grind lines are OK but getting the bevels flat is very difficult, needless to say mine aren't. the part near the handle isn't easy either, I need lots of practice.
Thanks for your responce it helps to get feed back, as for "seasoned gnarly old" I'm only 57 LOL.
0123.JPG

While I'm not a big fan of spike knives, the one with the basket twist handle is the coolest one I've seen so far. Can't say as I have seen that done on one of these projects. Very imaginative. I also like the dagger shaped blade. Don't see that in a spike knife very often. Nice work Mark!! You have piqued my interest. I may just have to try one myself now:)

.........(Dodge adds this to the end of his already astronomical list ;))