I Forge Iron

Powered hacksaw identification

So I found this little guy today and brought it home, thought it would look pretty neat with a fresh coat of paint on it. Has anyone ever seen one like this? I did a Google search but so far no luck on any information out there on it. It was made by Louisville electric manufacturering company, no. 26065 type CD 3x5 capacity 90 rpm.

20170514_152333.jpg

That's an interesting one and appears to have an unusual set-up.  Wouldn't mind seeing more pics when you get a chance--drive linkage etc.  What's the blade length?  Appears to be short so is it designed to clamp a longer and more standard modern blade somehow?

I think I would have snapped it up too.  Always wanted one for no particular reason other than it being "old school".

The blade is 14.5" long. Defiantly will be taking some pictures when I get home within a week or so. I originally thought it was for really thick stock but 3x5 is hardly thick by any means, maybe it was made for an application where the cuts needed to be as parallel to the ground as possible? 

Similar saw photo here listed as 5 x 5  http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=31578

A newspaper reference in 1951 "His company, at 3003(8?) Magazine, makes electric lawn mowers and ice-cream freezers" speaking of comments the President made about material shortages.  And Jan of 1952: "Instead A Louisville manufacturer who had said he was selling his company because of Government red tape has changed his mind. John P. Castleman, president of Louisville Electric Manufacturing Company, 3008 Magazine, announced yesterday that the company is moving to Dover, N. H., to do subcontracting for a firm in New York state."

So..at least that implies that your saw is pre-1952.  I'm a little too lazy to dig deeper right now.  Might later

Checked the address on google maps and it's now several rotting buildings.  Bet exploring would be a bit interesting.

Oh..thanks for the extra pics.  Unusual drive set-up to make the saw more compact than most.

Addendum:  Newspaper lists the company under "new business" section in June, 1921 so that puts your saw between 1921 and 1952.  I'd personally say close to the latter by the design.

They company patented the first rotary mower in 1931--electric and here is an example.

full-7392-14053-db_small_electric2__medi

Oh wow, your google skills are much better than mine lol. After a little spit polish on the tag mine is a 5x5 too, it looked like a 3 earlier. That is the same saw though. Almost a shame to do it but I plan to put a nice coat of paint on it and put it in my living room. 

• 6 months later...