I Forge Iron

3D cad software

josef

I'm trying to find the best 3D cad software for ornamental ironwork.  I have tried the free version of SketchUp and it doesn't do it for me.  Has anyone had experience with any programs like TurboCad or others?

I've been learning how to use OnShape and like it a lot, but haven't yet gotten to the point of being able to do complex work on it (mostly because I haven't yet invested the time in doing all the tutorials). 

One thing about the free version is that everything you work on is in public documents, so I wouldn't use it for anything you're going to be selling.

• 1 month later...

I use Autocad but it's quite expensive. There is a program called FabCad that has been built from Autocad. It was designed specifically for the ornamental industry and includes a large variety of pre drawn components from many of our suppliers. It's pretty expensive but not as bad as Autocad. There have been recent releases for 3D design.

I think that fusion 360 is free for hobbiests and start up businesses.  I use SolidWorks and it is really good but is not cheap. These are both 3d software unlike AutoCAD. If I was using SolidWorks for ornamental iron drawings I would build up a library of parts which are all easily editable. Then I would build project models either using assemblies or multiple body models.

I've found something that I really really like and it is nowhere near the cost of Autocad or Solidworks.  It's called Rhino3D for around $1000.  You can download a full working copy and try it for 90 days.  Attached is a table I did from scratch building my own scrolls.  What I like is that I can work in familiar front, side, top orthographic views and see the result in 3D.  It is a complicated program simply because it has so many features, but the tutorials are good.

side-table-0117jun.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...