I Forge Iron

New anvil question

Hello everyone. I am looking for some feedback/advice on this anvil. It's a new manufactured anvil made from ductile iron, I'll refrain from naming the brand for now.

My concern is with the face rapidly exhibiting divots. The divots are voids in the metal which seem to have popped off of the face, not dents which would be displaced metal. So far I have about 20 hours of use on this anvil, all working hot steel with a fairly small hammer (1.5lb). My hammers are dressed and rounded.

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

It is really hard for me to see what you are showing here.

Google "casting defect gas porosity" and check out the images to see if they match what you are seeing on your anvil. If they match then I would say you have a good reason to contact the supplier and run this evidence past them. They may be willing to replace the defective piece or they might cut you a discount on what you paid. 

If it were me I would keep the defects and hope for the discount. I have worked on and own anvils with faces that have contain many, many more defects that yours exhibit. However, I did not pay top dollar for any of my anvils. If I had, my standards would be higher.