I Forge Iron

First t burner build

ddbow33

Hi everyone.....new guy here and my first post.  I've assembled my first T burner and plan on using the "alternative" method of supplying propane to the burner by using 1/8" schedule 80 pipe nipple.  Will the length of the schedule 80 be of concern?  The shorter the better?  Any suggestions would be wonderful.  Thanks.

The length does not matter from a performance standpoint as it is just an extension of the propane line, shorter is better from a structure strength stand point, which also effects overall safety.   You do not want the threads of the Sch. 80 pipe to protrude to far into the T, it should self lock at about 1/8" inside the T.  What do you plan to use as a propane line?  Hose or pipe?  The connection to the Sch. 80 pipe from the supply line needs to be planned as well. 

I hesitate to make comments on "T" burners; Frosty is the expert on them. But I think a couple of the those replies are pretty iffy. First of all, how long the gas pipe is matters a lot in my burner design, and I think it is likely to matter with Frosty's burner too. My design takes a minimum length of gas tube; 3" for 1/8"  schedule #80 pipe, and 4" for 1/8"  schedule #40 pipe. With my burners, keeping a maximum gas/air mixture flow down the burner tube (AKA mixing tube) is critical. Too much flow is possible, but unlikely, so long as the right MIG contact tip is employed, If I understand what I've read and seen, Mixture flow is critical in a "T" burner too; but they appear to be a much more delicate balance, where too much is just as easy to achieve as too little mixture speed. In both kinds of burners, gas pressure mostly adjust how much flame is output; get their construction right, and the flame runs perfectly throughout a long turndown range; get them wrong, and adjusting the gas pressure does little to help you.

Also how far into the Tee fitting the MIG tip extends seems to be quite important on his burner too, which may be why builders are supposed to follow his part lists. I''m all for innovation, but if we are going to "wing it" we must first understand the why of things before we start playing with the whats; otherwise we are likely to end up with a Frankenburner, rather than a "joy for ever."

ddbow33, my understanding is that you plan to use a schedule 80 nipple in place of the brass bushing shown above.  This schedule 80 nipple is covered in Frosty's  directions and as far as I know there have been no problems with it's use.  But like Mikey says, stick with the directions.  Good luck.

Sorry the picture I had did not copy to the forum. 

The reason I spoke up is that a "T" burner is deliberately designed to be easy to build; and therefore, like an old Ford, it can run with a lot of things working wrong. But if it's working just right, it puts out a beautiful flame; truly a joy forever. Back in your grandfather's day a Chrysler product either ran just right, or hardly at all. Human nature being what it is, there were a lot of sick running old Fords on the road, and some smooth running Chryslers...

yeah........I plan on using the schedule 80 nipple in place of the brass fittings.  I just didn't see a length specified for the 1/8" schedule 80 nipple in the directions.  Mikey...thanks for the info.  I have no desire to "wing it" either!  lol