I Forge Iron

Anvil help

Howdy,

New guy here and starting my journey. I purchased this anvil Friday for $100. I was wondering if it is a good starter? And if anyone can help me identify it? Make, model, etc..I did hit it with a hammer and and it did pass the "ring" test. I am able to see a O and a II on one side and I thought that had to do with the weight but the middle number (if there is one) I can see. The other side it looks like 183 and maybe something else. A "W" and another letter right below it. If anyone have any ideas or tips that could help I would be grateful.happy easter

thanks

marc

WP_20170414_004.jpg

WP_20170414_006.jpg

WP_20170414_007.jpg

WP_20170414_008.jpg

WP_20170414_009.jpg

WP_20170414_010.jpg

WP_20170414_011.jpg

4 hours ago, DarthSpark said:

Howdy,

New guy here and starting my journey. I purchased this anvil Friday for $100. I was wondering if it is a good starter? And if anyone can help me identify it? Make, model, etc..I did hit it with a hammer and and it did pass the "ring" test. I am able to see a O and a II on one side and I thought that had to do with the weight but the middle number (if there is one) I can see. The other side it looks like 183 and maybe something else. A "W" and another letter right below it. If anyone have any ideas or tips that could help I would be grateful.happy easter

thanks

marc

Hi Marc, welcome. Yes that is a good anvil to start with and not a bad price for starters. Don't worry about the tail end and use it as it is. Unusual and very old it seems. Get stuck in making a stand for it ... or is it her?