I Forge Iron

Champion rivet forge

i got an old champion rivet forge with an electric motor.. no numbers on the blower except the champion blower and forge co.

the mother went out, and im hoping that its just a bad wire due to age... i honestly dont know anything about electric motors, esp one of this age, but it was working just fine till last night, i took the motor apart but i cant get the motor casing off,.......

anybody know anything about this problem? or if its worth diggin further into?

luckily, i have a buffalo forge blower. its a bahemith, got a big wooden handle that drives the wheels that drives the belt that turns the drives the blower, a bit of work but i think its rare cause ive never seen anything like it... any info on those as well?

If you don't know anything about motors, why are you trying to take it apart? I don't know anything about motors either, but I would look at the wire- is the insulation cracked? You might just have a wiring problem. Wire is pretty simple to replace, even for a knucklehead like me. If the wire seems ok, my next step would be to take it to a motor shop and  start by getting an estimate. Also, see if you can pull the motor and replace it with something that works.

As far as your manual blower, pix would be nice. Then we can offer some thoughts.

Might not be a bad idea to add your location to your profile. Someone here  could live right up the street from you. Also, take some time to read through the site, especially the stickies. A lot of your questions have probably been answered multiple times. Welcome to the sight, enjoy the addiction.

Steve

yes if your not familiar with electric motors about all you can do yourself is check the wires running to the motor are intact (cheap multi-meter and hold contacts to each end of the wires) and visual inspection of rubber casing on them(old wires tend to crack which causes shorts). if all that fails definately seek professional help. electricity is not something that you want to have running wild when working with large metal objects your going to be touching.