I Forge Iron

Champion 40 blower -- small oil drain hole?

Quench.

I picked up a Champion 40 blower in pretty decent shape, minus a handle.  Cleaned it up.  I was working on making a stand for it today and noticed what I thought was a blob of crud I missed when cleaning it.  Turns out it was what looks like a tiny nail, and it was plugging a tiny hole.  I'm wondering if that is supposed to be an oil level overflow/weep hole?  I re-plugged it, but you can see it in the close up picture, right above the "PA." The little circle in the center id from my punch.  The plug is kind of soft, almost like lead.  Anyone else know what the hole is for?  Thanks!  -Q

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks... I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to have such a hole.  It looks to be about the right height above the bottom of the oil reserve to allow the gear to catch the oil.  Otherwise might be easy to overfill.  I agree: from Google Images search, I couldn't see any others with visible holes.

This blower is a bit different than most I've seen online.  It has no easy method of mounting.  No mounting bracket.  It has a square flange on the output, and the square flange clamps to the manifold with two triangular-looking clamps with a lever and a cam.  This pulls the two square ends together, and apparently has to support the blower just with that friction fit.  I have the manifold, but no clamps.  I found this info from a couple pictures of a portable suitcase forge someone built.  Wish I had those clamps.

My forge has a 2" iron pipe inlet.  I bought a 2 1/2" stainless steel Dynaflex pipe online (eBay seller with initials JP--good people). The pipe fits nicely inside the blower outlet (maybe with a bit of shimming), and nicely over the 2" iron pipe, again, with a bit of shimming.  So I won't be mounting this blower on the forge.  It will be attached (somehow) to a stand made of 2x4s, and deliver the air via the flex pipe (pipe shown in the picture, too.)

-Q

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

That piece pictured above? You may have stated this, but if I missed it or didn't understand you, that is the pipe the blower clamps onto. OK you knew that. But that piece is fastened to the underside of the forge. So, no. Your blower has no stand. Cuz it affixes itself onto that pipe UNDER THE FORGE.

7 hours ago, SReynolds said:

That piece pictured above? You may have stated this, but if I missed it or didn't understand you, that is the pipe the blower clamps onto. OK you knew that. But that piece is fastened to the underside of the forge. So, no. Your blower has no stand. Cuz it affixes itself onto that pipe UNDER THE FORGE.

It has a stand now:

-Q