I Forge Iron

what caused this pattern

fishfinder401

Hi everyone, 

i decided to etch one of my 80crv2 knives that i did a hamon with much longer than normal, and this interesting, almost damascus like pattern came out, the knife seems to be structurally fine, but im just wondering what caused this, and if it is good, bad or just looks cool. if it helps, it is only in the tip, and along the hamon line along the whole blade( harder to get that on camera).

as far as i know i didn't overheat it at all, and i have a decent amount( to me at least) of 80crv2 knives that i have made and this is the first i have seen this on.

thanks

Noel

l4LJAVf.jpgR7nT5N8.jpgf7I33ub.jpg

42 minutes ago, TheoRockNazz said:

Looks like alloy banding. If you got that 80CrV2 from Aldo he'll send you fresh steel for free - Tom had a similar issue with some of his 80CrV2 knives we heat treated at my forge

It was from aldo, but that was litterally the last piece from that bar, but I do have a bar of 52100 from him that I thought I noticed similar patterns in that gave me some serious issues, I guess it,might be worth talking to him...

Will the alloy banding cause any,noticeable effects in performance?