I Forge Iron

Practical Blacksmithing and Metalworking 2nd ed.

Ferrous Beuler

Practical Blacksmithing and Metalworking, second edition.
Percy W. Blanford
ISBN 0-8306-0394-8
ISBN 0-8306-2894-0 (pbk.)
360 pgs.
$24.95 u.s. (pbk.)

Lots of good stuff here. This book covers many areas but does not go too in depth into any particular area.
It looks at tools,basic techniques, hardware, decorative smithing, sheet metal work in various metals and includes a section on casting.
There is a fair amount of information here on tools, how to use them and how to make them.
The book is full of illustrations, clear photographs and well rendered line drawings.
Overall I found this to be a well written easy to read guide and a wealth of good information. It is a good source for the novice endeavoring to expand his skills and knowlege.
Smiths of all skill levels will find this book useful and informative. If it is not already in your library I recomend adding it to the shopping list.
Dan:)

• 11 months later...

I have to second Dan's advice. I only have a meager blacksmithing library, but continually come back to Blandford's book for mental refresher and explanation. Very useful book. This is the one that had the boot scraper that I put together a while back.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I really like Mr. Blandford's writing and illustration, I have another book from him that does a very good job of explaining different tools and their uses but I can't think of the title.

As the first book I have bought on the subject, I will say it was pretty informative as well.