I Forge Iron

2 newly forged

billyO

Hello all, hope the newly arrived autumn (or spring for those of you in the southern hemisphere) is treating everyone well.  Got another day in the forge yesterday and pounded out these two new blades.  The top one is from a billet of 88 layers of 1080/15N20 and the bottom one is from one of 352 layers of 1095/15N20.  Didn't really have a pattern or plan on either as I'm still learning this craft and seeing how the steel moves under the hammer, which is why the shorter one ended up with a little bit of a drop point.  Here they are after rough grinding:
2016_09180002.JPG

and here they are after the heat treat and 3 one hour tempers at ~400 degrees:
2016_09190002.JPG

Not sure how to finish the forged swell at the finger guard before etching, most likely a lot of hand sanding.  Was thinking about leaving it as forged, but not sure how that will look after etching the rest of the blade.  Any suggestions? 
Comments and critiques are also welcome.
Have a great day.

Well., apparently I made a couple of wall hangers.  I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to my heat as I was forging, and post etch polish, I noticed 3 fractures in the steel in the handle.  blade did fine through the heat treat, so I can only assume it happened during the forging.

2016_09220003.JPG

I may use the longer one as a kitchen/utility knife and avoid heavy use to see how the edge lasts.

• 2 months later...

Hello all. Sorry for the late reply, but for some reason,  I have been unable to access IForgeIron for the past couple of months.  

I found out that these were not cracks, but rather etch lines from not having a deep enough container for my ferric chloride:huh: (which has since been replaced). I re-sanded and re-etched no lines   Here's a pic of the bottom one with a handle.  This will be the last time (for a while at least) that I try the finger swells and definitely will be making sure I don't drop the handle as much.

20161104_134047_resized.jpg