I Forge Iron

Gas forge questions

Shogun71

Ok, I have not even fired up the current solid fuel forge I have but trying to find fuel is very challenging locally and very costly for what I can get...

So I was doing extensive research on gas forges...  (I will preface the rest with a declaration that I am an idiot and have a brain that gets too far ahead of myself sometimes).  I am an avid RC plane/helicopter pilot but on less than perfect weather days I am left to just putter around.  I went from a coax mall copter to flying a heli with 630 mm blades in 6 months and now fly planes with up to a 103" wing span and am working on completing an A-10 jet...  I'm surprised my wife does not suggest I live in the shop by now....

So "If" I was to go with a gas forge "if" I really like smashing hot metal, I would likely buy one.  Being in Canada getting stuff shipped here or across the border is challenging...

I came across the Mighty forges that are made in B.C. and have emailed the company.  The forges have just about everything I could likely use and seem to be in a bunch of different sizes.

The one I am considering maybe in the spring is the:

http://www.mightyforge.com/TheMighty.html

or

http://www.mightyforge.com/MightyWarrior.html

I am coming to understand that I may need to get more than one forge in the long run "if" this hobby persists. 

Please indulge me and let me know if there are any good/bad issues with these forges.  For me they are the most economical to get where I live.

I haven't heard of these forges before so my opinion carries that caveat. I'm going by description and a couple pictures. That said these seem to be a pretty decent value for the money, I'd like the chamber a little taller 4.5" in fact but that's personal preference, I like the dimensions well enough I could work in that chamber easily.

Were I buying one I like the "Mighty" for it's chamber wide side door or the "Heavy Duty" if I needed more room. Both for the full length door, I don't make blades and am much  more likely to need the wide door to fit shapes. The through doors are important, I heat long pieces as well.

I'd like to know what "type 80" poured refractory is. Look for a high alumina refractory to resist welding fluxes.

The Warrior looks like a nice 3 burner blade forge and equally well made though I don't know why it should be lighter than the two burner you asked about previously. A typo I think and just a curiosity not a flaw or criticism.

If you don't want to make your own (lots of work even if you've done it before) these look like good forges.

Again, that's just my opinion based on reading their adds and single angle pictures. I'd like to see the back sides and the burners and pics of them burning. Baring getting to use one or other testimony.

Frosty The Lucky.