I Forge Iron

Hoof knife straight blade with tiger maple handle

jlpservicesinc

I think we have a different definition of "straight" JP.

Every hoof knife I've seen has been what I call a "Hook" knife, just like that beauty. FYI, The last time I held a hoof knife was probably 15-20 years ago when I showed a work mate how to clean up his horse's hoof, a sharp rock had split it. Our horses were shod and though we had a couple hoof knives we never needed to use one except when the farrier showed me how.

All that windyness is to say there may be "straight" hoof knives and most modern ones may be so curvy this one is "straight" by modern standards.

Now I'm missing Banjo, not the work, just the critter. Non-horse people don't understand how much of a personal relationship you develop with your horse. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I think we have a different definition of "straight" JP.

Every hoof knife I've seen has been what I call a "Hook" knife, just like that beauty. FYI, The last time I held a hoof knife was probably 15-20 years ago when I showed a work mate how to clean up his horse's hoof, a sharp rock had split it. Our horses were shod and though we had a couple hoof knives we never needed to use one except when the farrier showed me how.

All that windyness is to say there may be "straight" hoof knives and most modern ones may be so curvy this one is "straight" by modern standards.

Now I'm missing Banjo, not the work, just the critter. Non-horse people don't understand how much of a personal relationship you develop with your horse. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Ah, you ruined the surprise..   the next thread will be a hoop knife... It is a hook bladed knife but the blade is straight compared to the hoop knife.. 

I used straight in the essence of a hoof knife.. some have less belly than others and this has a pretty deep belly..  

it is true the relationship between horse and human kind can be pretty amazing..  All critters speak if listened to.. 

Ah HAH! Just a terminology thing, Your knife has a pretty straight EDGE on a hook blade. I don't like semantics, when a conversation devolves into semantics real communication disappears quickly into a stupid game. However getting the craft jargon "standardized" makes good communications much easier even possible without long descriptive phrases even sentences.

I used to have a pair of "curly tail" lizards in a big terrarium in the living room of the mobile home I lived in at the time. Lizards and desert terrarium because I worked in the field and was often gone for a couple weeks at a time so I needed low maintenance life forms. Not counting what grew in the fridge of course. Anyway the to lizards were from the same hatching, (brothers?) They had very different personalities though, Larry was more wary and elusive when I worked on or in the terrarium. Moe on the other hand was almost friendly, I'd have to shoo him out of the way, sometimes actually touch him. Very different personalities. Moe impaled himself on an Euphorbia thorn chasing a cricket unfortunately. Larry on the other hand had a long lizard life, I had him 8 years and he reached darned big for a Curly Tale (something Cubensis) almost 9" long. He did get used to me and any time I opened the middle panel on the terrarium he'd assume his position on his pouncing rock and look at me expectantly. He never got as friendly as Moe but he stopped fleeing and hiding like I was going to eat him.

Darn YOU, now I'm missing Larry! The pic is Banjo and I, the palomino i the background id Babe. It doesn't show well in the pic but Banjo was an honest to goodness "Medicine Hand" Appaloosa. Back in the day when appaloosa was a breed rather than a color. I'd better hit send before I start talking about Banjo.

Frosty The Lucky.

Me and Banjo 67-69.jpg