I Forge Iron

hammer maintenance

Laertius

Have not posted in a while, but have still kept up with you all!  Great work, and so much inspiration all the time.  I have had the need for some heavy hand hammers from time to time and some shorter handled sledges, so finally got to refurbishing some oldies that I had picked up as either broken or broke soon after I bought and used them.  The big cross pien had some chipped edges and way too pointy a pein, so I used a cut off wheel on a hand grinder and shaved off an half inch from the face and radiused the other end to a roughly 1' pein.  Then ground flat and used the flap wheel to soften the edges and begin the polish, final finish with the 300 scotchbrite on a buffer motor.

The rest just needed the flap wheel and polish.

Used a rasp and 1x30 sander to shape the handles \, bought the wedges from a local hardware store -- only  place in town that sells em individually.  I usually make my own if doing a handle on the fly, but had 4 to do so the 4$ was worth it!

After oiling the handles I set them all upside down in a pool of boiled linseed oil thinned out a bit with lacquer thinner.

Looking forward to using them!

20160806_131104.jpg

20160806_164428.jpg

Yes! I got the idea from that post.  Tried it out today, nice for starting a notch (tong ends. Boss).... but way to heavy for repeated blows.  Looking forward to using it for other applications where a heavy precise blow is needed.