I Forge Iron

Alwin Wagener Demo

Hey ya'll.
I wanted to post this here for everyone and allow anyone and everyone to see how capable he is!

He is teaching a course at John C. Campbell, and after spending the day I am seriously thinking of having his course be my first at John C. His teaching style is easy and informative for people of all skill levels.

We had smiths from instructors to professionals to beginners there and they all commented on something different that they learned from the meeting.

Here are a few photos from the day. There are also about 90 more over in the gallery at Blacksmith Guild of Viriginia - Home if you would like to take a look. They are in the gallery as "January Meeting 2008" There are 3 pages worth...saves me from uploading everything two or more times...

This was his warm up.....one piece rose. Pictured is his demo board to show the steps...
1274.jpg

His wizard is the most realistic I have seen. And I think one of the best things he had there on display for us to look at. He based it off of a Yellin piece he had seen.
1319.jpg

Alwin Wagener in the flesh! It was also neat to have him be....how shall I say it....hmm....younger! :) It is encouraging for me.
1296.jpg

Nol Putnam next month.....gonna be a good time!

Peyton

Peyton's right the demo was great. I picked the right meeting to be my first guild meeting. Peyton's also got a point. It was nice to see someone my age with the level of experience in the trade. And it kinda puts things in perspective. While I've been beating on Computers for the past 10 years he's been beating on metal. Kinda makes me feel a little bit better about my pathetic stabs at smithing.

But like Alwin was saying, his products increase in quality each time he makes them. And that there is nothing better than simply working on a design until you get it the way you want it and then refining it even after that.

In short I'm stoked about the guild and will defintiley be going to more of their meetings in the future. Everyone there was great and I enjoyed it immensely.

-Dan

Travis I will be at Boones for sure! I am a CVBG member also so I can't miss that one! LOL!

You guys from Tidewater are ALWAYS welcome anytime!!!!!!!! I hope to see ya there!!! Let me know if you need anything.

saintjohn- no problem. I made one Monday and it turned out really nice. Keep the back part thicker when thining out the pedals. It will keep it from wanting to break apart on ya!

Life is good.

Peyton