I Forge Iron

Hero forge #6 -- all belts no gear

Hi all!

My Hero Forge saga continues :-)  

I picked up this forge abou ta month ago, it's all belt driven, whereas most rivet forges I've seen have a quarter gear that moves the flywheel, this one has two belts instead of the gear..... 

I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it all up, got everything moving and spinning the way it should be.  Got it all back together, started to test out to get ready for new homemade leather belts.... using Paracord to get the right sizes ;-)

Well, I think I have the wrong flywheel....  the flywheel should spin clockwise in order to spin the blower clockwise... however, the clutch portion only locks up to spin the flywheel counter clockwise :-(  I attached a picture to show what I mean.. hopefully....  

you can see the tabs on the flywheel portion that will only lockup with the axle portion to spin the wheel counter clockwise.... 

am I correct in saying that there is no way that this thing will spin in the right direction by the pull of the wooden handle?   There is also a spring on the inside between the flywheel and axle portion that pushed the axle portion away from the flywheel... I feel that spring is in the wrong postion and should push the axle portion toward the flywheel clutch and not away from..

I have no reason to suspect that this flywheel is not original, although it may very well not be original by the look of things....

anyone have the clutch pieces for a clockwise rotation and need a counterclockwise setup?  or want to sell the assembly or pieces?

two pictures... first one of the entire assembly... second one of the closeup of the "axle portion" of the clutch

I'd love to get this old girl runnign again properly...  I'd rather not hand make the clutch pieces in order to do so.... but I'm at a loss as to where I might even begin to find pieces like this :-(

thanks all!

Mike B

20160504_183914.jpg

20160504_183558-1.jpg

oh and the "actuator" arm that usually has a big steel weight on it that the wooden handle attaches to is broken, so no big weight... I can substitute a bungee cord or two for now for that....

However, it's on the right side of the flywheel, which is opposite of what I see on all the other forges... usually that big "ball" arm is on the left, along with a gear mechinism for moving the big flywheel....   mine is all on the right side.....

4 hours ago, Stash said:

You could just cross the belt between the flywheel and the pulley (half turn of the belt loop). That will change direction for you.

Steve

I had thought about that, however there isn't much room between the flywheel and the blower pulley :-(

In Lincoln.  Just east of Omaha.  We had a blacksmithing swap meet in Kearney last Saturday and he brought enough parts to build 6 forges.  Just felt they would help more people that way do to the fact that they where all missing something any way.  PM me and I can get you contact info.

Mike if your blower is good you can always belt a small electric motor to it.

On 6/7/2016 at 9:11 PM, matto said:

In Lincoln.  Just east of Omaha.  We had a blacksmithing swap meet in Kearney last Saturday and he brought enough parts to build 6 forges.  Just felt they would help more people that way do to the fact that they where all missing something any way.  PM me and I can get you contact info.

Mike if your blower is good you can always belt a small electric motor to it.

that would be great!

yes my blower works perfectly now tat I cleaned it all up and gave it some good TLC :-)   I have a washing machine motor I can use, but I'd love to get it restored back to the way it "should" be....   

If I'm going to go down the electric road, I have a power vent blower that I can replace the Hero's blower with completely without permanently modifying the forge

thanks!

Mike B

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw one of these last weekend and it uses two leather belts, each wrapped around the shaft in opposite directions. That way the shaft spun on both the up and down motion of the handle. Of course the dogs only engage in one direction to turn the blower. The second belt only serves to rewind the belt that drives the blower. Pretty slick.