I Forge Iron

Friday the 13th was a lucky day! Help with anvil ID

Friday the 13th from now on will be considered a lucky day. I went to the machine shop, the company I work for always uses to have the face of the 70-90 lb cast iron anvil I had previously posted about ground flat. After discussing the plan for the cast iron anvil, the owner took me back to see the anvil he had. It was about 4 times the size of the cast iron anvil and and it was steel. The anvil face was in decent shape. When I asked how much he wanted for it, he said since my son was just getting started he would take $100 for it. He knew that anvils go for upwards of $2.00 per pound, but he is a really good guy and I think he liked the idea that my 18 year old son had an interest in metal working.  Needless to say I bought it. One more thing about the owner, when I asked him how much the machining would be for the cast iron anvil. He said not to worry about it, that he was glad to help my son out.

Again I need help as to the anvil ID. I think it may be a PW. There is a H on the left foot under the horn, it is the right foot when the looking at the anvil from the side and the horn to the right. Of the three numbers that describe the weight. The first # is definitely a 3, the 2nd number is obscured from abuse. In the the area where the 3rd number should be there is a 0 and possibly a 2 right in front of it. I lightly brushed the side of the anvil, powdered the side and I can't make out anything else. The anvil's face is 5 1/2" X 24". The overall length is 37". The height is 14 3/4". Just guessing I would think the anvil weighs between 250 and 350 lbs. The guys at my shop decided to run an angle grinder over the face without consulting me, which I was really bummed about. So now my son is going to sand out the angle grinder marks with a random orbital sander. 

Any help as to the ID and weight would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

Looks all Peter Wright to me. If that 1sr number is a 3 that would put it in the 300 lb range. If marked in cwt the that 3 represents incriments of 112 lbs so 336 lb MINIMUM. that's a big boy. And for $100 you got one mother of a deal. 

yes I agree its a PW mine has the H on the foot as well no sure what it means,  maybe a manufacturing number .Pity about the grinding don`t take any more off just use it. Great  price though.

1 hour ago, stan said:

maybe a manufacturing number

Don't you mean "manufacturing LETTER" sorry I couldn't help it.

Littleblacksmith

10 hours ago, OUjeffscar said:

Friday the 13th from now on will be considered a lucky day. I went to the machine shop, the company I work for always uses to have the face of the 70-90 lb cast iron anvil I had previously posted about ground flat. After discussing the plan for the cast iron anvil, the owner took me back to see the anvil he had. It was about 4 times the size of the cast iron anvil and and it was steel. The anvil face was in decent shape. When I asked how much he wanted for it, he said since my son was just getting started he would take $100 for it. He knew that anvils go for upwards of $2.00 per pound, but he is a really good guy and I think he liked the idea that my 18 year old son had an interest in metal working.  Needless to say I bought it. One more thing about the owner, when I asked him how much the machining would be for the cast iron anvil. He said not to worry about it, that he was glad to help my son out.

Again I need help as to the anvil ID. I think it may be a PW. There is a H on the left foot under the horn, it is the right foot when the looking at the anvil from the side and the horn to the right. Of the three numbers that describe the weight. The first # is definitely a 3, the 2nd number is obscured from abuse. In the the area where the 3rd number should be there is a 0 and possibly a 2 right in front of it. I lightly brushed the side of the anvil, powdered the side and I can't make out anything else. The anvil's face is 5 1/2" X 24". The overall length is 37". The height is 14 3/4". Just guessing I would think the anvil weighs between 250 and 350 lbs. The guys at my shop decided to run an angle grinder over the face without consulting me, which I was really bummed about. So now my son is going to sand out the angle grinder marks with a random orbital sander. 

Any help as to the ID and weight would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

This may sound callous or crass but I would fire the person who ground the top of that anvil. That is definitely a nearly four hundred pound Peter Wright worth thousands of dollars the grinding took away decades of life and left behind a softer face. Real shame. 

Still a great value for your son though.

1 hour ago, littleblacksmith said:

Don't you mean "manufacturing LETTER" sorry I couldn't help it.

Littleblacksmith

Your right, I think that does sound better :)

Arftist - I can't fire the worker that did the grinding. The anvil had been welded to an I-beam base and I asked him to cut it off. After cutting it off, he thought some light grinding would help the face. He was just trying to be helpful and he is a great worker and person, I just wished he would have asked me. The anvil still has great rebound, so I don't think he hurt it much if any. Even with the grinding, it will make a great anvil for my son and if I have my way will never leave the family. 

On 5/15/2016 at 0:46 AM, OUjeffscar said:

Arftist - I can't fire the worker that did the grinding. The anvil had been welded to an I-beam base and I asked him to cut it off. After cutting it off, he thought some light grinding would help the face. He was just trying to be helpful and he is a great worker and person, I just wished he would have asked me. The anvil still has great rebound, so I don't think he hurt it much if any. Even with the grinding, it will make a great anvil for my son and if I have my way will never leave the family. 

Yup I agree with most of that. 

Definitely a great score for your son. 

What I would do is grind the rest of the chips out of the edges with a flap wheel or sanding disc to a nice radius. You don't want sharp edges on your anvil and the missing chips are the propagation points for cracking of the top plate which Peter Wrights are known for.