I Forge Iron

Spiked Tomahawk

Finished this up today. Fun project as I used a mild steel body with high carbon steel welded in both blade and spike. I tested the spike on an old washing machine which I have to admit made me nervous. Pierced right through the steel plating with the spike not dulling any. Overall I'm very pleased with the project.

2462tja.jpg

55 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

Nice, where did the design come from?

Well it was supposed to be a short bearded like tomahawk, but I didnt get enough metal in the tip and had drawn it out too far after the carbon steel was welded in it. So I just went with it and it turned out nice.

Definitely learned some lessons such as use a smaller drift when drawing out the ears. Would have saved a lot of work on the eye had I paid attention.

I like it. Looks like it could do some damage and the lines flow nicely from the beard. It's drifted more for a standard axe handle ? I cant tell from the pic but looks like the handle could do with some swelling at the head for durability. What steel did you weld in as the bits?

starting stock size? I may have to try this if you don't mind.;)

Littleblacksmith

3 hours ago, Prevenge said:

I like it. Looks like it could do some damage and the lines flow nicely from the beard. It's drifted more for a standard axe handle ? I cant tell from the pic but looks like the handle could do with some swelling at the head for durability. What steel did you weld in as the bits?

Nah, it's actually a smaller tomahawk. I drifted it oval, probably an 1.25" x 3/4" or so. The picture makes the hawk look larger. The blade is probably 2.5" wide for reference. I used a piece of old file in both ends. 

My starting stock was 1" square.