I Forge Iron

Hello from south carolina (very new to trade)

bdutton

Hello names Brandon live in spartanburg. all ways liked working with my hands love the idea creating tools and works of art. So picked up some things two weeks ago and started hammering. No training need help badly know absolutely nothing other than what I've read. So any pointers are WELCOME! First knife I made is bad as turned more In to a prison shank.

Knifemaking is generally considered an advanced skill in blacksmithing. Generally we advise you to learn hammer control, forge control, temperature control; etc before trying blades that greatly profit from all those and *more*---alloys, heat treat, grinding/filing, hilting skills, etc.

If I teach new people to make a blade we make a simple medieval peasant's eating knife and that's with me coaching extensively.

"Older methods" being: Egyptian? pre 1000 AD european? 19th century?  American Frontier?  Blacksmithing has a *LOT* of history behind it and King Tutankhamun was buried with an iron blade made to a very fine finish using "older methods"!