I Forge Iron

How hot does your forge hood get?

I am in the process of fixing a chimney to my forge hood and I have some sealant rated up to 350 F, 177 C. It occurred to me I have no idea how hot exactly it will get. I remember a student leaning forwards when I was at college and getting a big burn on his forehead and the hood often gets too hot to touch, but how hot is that? I know there are a lot of factors, I am using a traditional english design with a big hood over a back blast forge, but I was just curious to hear how hot everyone else hoods are getting. 

The skin temperature of the forge hood would depend on many factors, including the size of the fire, intensity of the fire, and the amount of air being moved up the chimney. Also factor in whether the fire has been going for 10 minutes or 10 hours, the size and configuration of the chimney, and where the heat of the fire contacts the metal in the chimney (think elbows etc). Large straight chimneys usually run cooler as they move more air with less restrictions.

Can you put it all together sans sealant and light a fire to find out just how hot it'll get? Seems as though that's the only way to get a true answer and to avoid a possible fire. 

Thinking about it some more, are you talking about where the chimney/flue connects to the hood or where it goes through a wall/roof?

If it's the connection to the hood, assuming the connection is mechanically sound (relatively tight) I wouldn't bother with sealant. In fact I didn't bother on my hood...

If it's a matter of sealing at a wall or ceiling then there are too many variables for any of to give you a safe suggestion.

• 5 months later...
On 4/23/2016 at 10:47 AM, blackleafforge said:

I am in the process of fixing a chimney to my forge hood and I have some sealant rated up to 350 F, 177 C. It occurred to me I have no idea how hot exactly it will get. I remember a student leaning forwards when I was at college and getting a big burn on his forehead and the hood often gets too hot to touch, but how hot is that? I know there are a lot of factors, I am using a traditional english design with a big hood over a back blast forge, but I was just curious to hear how hot everyone else hoods are getting. 

I just bought a laser temperature gauge gadget and the hood and chimney of my forge got to 115 degrees C. 

All the best 

Andy