I Forge Iron

Two firsts today!

jjhend28

So, two firsts for me today. I did my first successful forge weld, and my first blade.  I have been making random things for a while, and never got around to learning to forge weld or make a knife. Today I did both.  This first picture is my first knife blade, its ugly and rough but it is my first, I haven't gotten a handle on it yet, that will be tomorrow.  The second picture is the back of the tang where the weld didn't take all the way, but I should be able to cut that little bit off and still have room for a handle.  This was all done with just basic tools... a forge, hammer, anvil, and hand files, nothing fancy.  I am planning on making a basic wood handle tomorrow from either maple or oak, as it is what I have on hand. 

20160402_163355.thumb.jpg.09ac1a34f685ed20160402_163447.thumb.jpg.32125b78d23174

Nothing complicated to be honest.  It was just 2 pieces of 01 tool steel I had left over from making a few wrenches I needed.  I really just wanted to see if I could even get a weld in my forge.  Then I figured I would just make it into a knife as I have never made one.  I'm thinking about cutting up a leaf spring I have and trying my hand at a another one before the week is out.

On 3/04/2016 at 4:05 PM, jjhend28 said:

I'm thinking about cutting up a leaf spring I have and trying my hand at a another one before the week is out.

If you're going to try this try to find another kind of steel as a shim between your layers - leaf spring is notorious for not wanting to stick to itsself!

Thanks for the info on that.  I am new to forge welding and can use any insight I can get.  I did a bit of reading, and the plan I came up with was to alternate layers of the spring steel with some 1095 (That's what I have on hand), and then work it and fold it a few times and see how it comes out...  I'm not expecting much except to learn a bit more so I can get better at it.