I Forge Iron

Side Blast

Exo313

Planning on building a side blast forge, but curious on the need for water cooling? Most plans I have examined include this. I have some leftover kast-o-lite I can use to help shield the tuyere to help preserve it. Thoughts?

Just make the last of the tuyere our of castable refractory and don't worry about it burning up. Another option that I like is to make the last of the tuyere a wear item and easy to replace. short pipe nipples are cheap.

Frosty The Lucky.

There are so many variables involved it's impossible for me or anyone not standing at your forge to tell you how much air THAT fire needs and then I bet s/he'd say, "more or less than that, or that's about right."

Frosty The Lucky.

As Frosty says you don't "need" to have a side blast water cooled. It's not essential. Just get a thick pipe and accept you'll have to replace it every so often. 

Using threaded pipe and short sacrificial nipple at the end will be just fine. 

As for using anthracite, I found a standard hair drier would keep it running just fine. You'd struggle to keep it going for long with a hand cranked blower. You really need a constant airflow. 

All the best 

Andy

If you want to get really fancy, I just noticed that there is a seller of short lengths of thick-walled (their words) Alumina ceramic tube in a variety of diameters on a popular auction site.  Not sure if care would have to be taken to allow for expansion or how brittle it is but it'd take the temps easily and you'd be the cool kid on the block.  

Technically, that would eliminate the need for any water cooling at a cost that appears to run about 60 bucks USD.