I Forge Iron

Introduction

Hi everyone,

I'm a new to blacksmithing guy from Minnesota. I built my first forge when i got my first welder a few months ago and have been trying to figure this whole thing out. I'm using a 6" chunk of railroad track for an anvil. I finally broke down and decided to join an internet forum when I realized I couldnt find an easy youtube video about managing a charcoal fire correctly. Hopefully I can find some help here and make a few new friends :)

Jordan

Look at the solid fuel forges section on the site.

Look for a chunk of metal with a mass of 100 pounds or so. Does not matter what it looks like, just that it has mass. A sledge hammer head will work but the heavier the better. Visit the anvils section for ideas.

Where are you going to get your charcoal? You will need a fire pot that is about 9 to 12 inches deep for charcoal. You can build up the sides of a forge to get this height. All this is discussed in the solid fuel forge section. Pack a lunch and a cold drink before you go. (grin)