I Forge Iron

Fuller set from rail anchor

JHCC

A friend gave me a bunch of Fair® rail anchors (from a rail-to-trail conversion near her home), and I had the idea of trying to make fullers from them. So, from the top:

Anchor as found (with some brainstorming sketching)

In progress, straightening out the bend.

Forging complete, with bend squared off into a shank to fit the hardie hole, anchor cut in half, and top fitted with a rodded handle.

IMG_20160131_174226500.jpg

And here are the top and bottom with the edges ground smooth. This gives a width of about 1/4".

IMG_20160131_183900253.jpg

I think I should be able to upset the anchor's "blade" to make bigger radii, as well.

• 5 years later...

Just occurred to me, I don’t need a portable hole. Heavy forging to fit a new Hardy to the Hardy hole in my anvil could break off the heel. Necessitating the purchase of a new larger anvil. Even SWMB couldn’t disagree with that could she?

Just kidding, I would never try to break a perfectly fine Mouse Hole just because I wanted something new. Besides, I am not sure I could bust off the heel no matter how much I abused it.