I Forge Iron

Biohazard Outbreak Response CQC Blade - Resident Evil inspired

This is a blade design I've been wanting to do for a looong time.  The initial inspiration came from the large blade used by Chris Redfield in the video game Resident Evil 5 (sold under the name Biohazard 5 in Japan).  I'm not a gamer, but have my finger on the pulse of the gaming world a bit.  I spent a long time scouring the Internet for a good picture of the knife and found nothing that showed a good profile shot of the blade.  Finally, a good picture showed up in my Google Images search.  I made a pattern, heated up some 80CrV2, and got to hammering.

The blade is 14 1/2" long and very pointy.  The tip drew a few drops of blood while working on it, before there was ever an edge on it.  The top side is a false edge.

biohazard%202_zps4tnfpk5h.jpg

The in-game knife has slab handles and a handle shape somewhat similar to the MercWorx Goliath.  At some point I will play around with translating the video game handle design into something comfortable for the hand in the real world, but on this one I went with an integral socket handle with coyote tan paracord for the main wrap and black two-strand Turk's head knots, impregnated with West System marine epoxy.

biohazard%203_zps1yld8569.jpg

And a coyote tan Kydex sheath with some provision for straps.  In the game, Chris wears it in a heavy leather sheath over his left shoulder and does a funky combination cross draw, strike, and re-sheath in one smooth motion that would be essentially impossible (certainly difficult) in real life.

biohazard%201_zpsqzzcdbhb.jpg

And it feels badass in the hand.  :D

biohazard%204_zps3plkjxe3.jpg

This is definitely a design that I will be returning to. 

Because those xxxx zombies just won't kill themselves. cool.png