I Forge Iron

Alternate to "first video demo for school"

Disappeared as a reply of course. Stupid IPS Data-mining bloatware! :angry:

I'll leave critique of the forging to others, it seems well in hand. I'll limit my critique to video production techniques.

Set up like a proper shop. Move the anvil to a reasonable working distance, one pace is a good rule of thumb. that's NOT one step, a pace is one step with each leg or around 6' give or take, usually a LITTLE longer is good to avoid tripping on your own tools.

Do NOT back light your subject!! Put the camera outside and the subject against the dark garage! You MUST have the light BEHIND the camera to show decent detail. Did you notice details of the concrete driveway 25' away are clearly visible while the iron you're showing the camera is just a black object? Having the light behind the camera will also help prevent the hot steel's washing out the picture.

Your framing is pretty good. Whoever's on the camera is doing a good job of keeping the subject in the frame. Think picture frame and the old cartoon "artiste" holding their fingers up and squinting at the subject. That exercise is to visualize the picture frame BEFORE painting, photographing, etc. Framing is a major thing to keep in mind. Like I say whoever is on the camera is doing a darned good job. Give them a raise. ;)

Your sound levels are good, we can hear you clearly without being blown out by the sound of you tapping the anvil. In most cases tapping the anvil or the sound of the blower or gas forge completely drowns out any useful monologue or dialogue.

So that's it for things you really need to improve, lighting. Shooting video of yourself working is a tremendous way to improve your skills even without everybody on the net critiquing your work. Seriously, every preteen who's played WOW is going to chime in with how a dwarf mage would do it or whatever, mostly just to see their drivel online. Same for a lot of Youtube, not much if any value.

What you posted is pretty decent, tune up your video values and if nothing else it's an excellent learning tool.

Well done. Frosty The Lucky.