I Forge Iron

Diserpearing Steel

Ok i tried to post this on another topic but it wouldnt let me i tried a bunch of times so i hope this works its off topic from that thread anyway...........

...So I am in the process of making a Damascus or pattern welded billet (first time doing this). I took 7 layers of 1080 and 15n20 stacked and welded on a handle and forge welded the stack…then drew it out cut to 3 pieces, stacked and welded again, drew it out again. Now at this point some one told me etching might be a good idea just to see what I got (I figured I would have nothing as all I have done is added more layers and compressed no twisting or grinding yet) so I etched and it was all dark grey except 2 lil blobs on one end a little smaller than a dime. So I washed it off cut and welded again and forged it into a rod like shape twisted, cut again and stacked. Today I will forge weld for the last time and forge to a blade. So ok everything’s good right? NO since I etched it between the last forge weld I did and draw out I lost A LOT of mass,…..NO exaggeration this billet was big enough for 3 pocket sized blades now it’s only big enough for one small one. I lost probilly 60% of the size where the XXXXX  did it go? I thought the acid (I used ferric chloride from radio shack) because it didn’t happen before that but I cleaned it real good soap and water and even baking soda (I was told baking soda neutralizes the acid) I just don’t understand this at all. I wouldn’t be mad if I made a mistake (obviously I screwed up somewhere) IF I learned something but I have no clue as to what went on here . Does any one have any thoughts on this? Did this ever happen to any of you?

watch your language this is  a G rated, family friendly forum

charlotte "neutral to reducing welding heat"?????????  Thomas... no i wish man i have looked the closest i came was when me and family go to this county fair its about 30 mins north of me they had a blacksmith demo i asked the guy he seemed somewhat willing but i found out he is another hour up so it would take me like a hour and half to get up there. Dont get me wrong if i could i would in a heartbeat but i dont have a car right now so asking some one to bring me all the way up there and hang around for a few hours till i am done is not going to happen. i got his card to incase the oppertunity comes up tho......the thing that gets me is the first 2 times welding and drawing out there was absolutly no problem the 3rd time it went from the mass of my whole hand (maybe wrist too) to the mass and size slightly bigger than my finger  the only thing i did different was etching it before that was my first thought but i cleaned it pritty good even used baking soda. i dont know what i did.....

Contact the local ABANA Affiliate and ask them if there is someone near you.  I get folks bounced to me all the time from the ABANA affiliate that's over 250 miles away.  Just think how embarrassed you would be if it turns out there is a smith within walking distance of you! (and if not...well you will have done due diligence...)

If you don't know about neutral to reducing welding heat you are no way near ready to be welding up billets!  ILL Hrisoulas' books from your local public library and get to learning!

ok thanks thomas i am definitely going to contact them tomorow  that would be awesome  i would love to go and watch i would feel greatfull just so see it done and if i actuly got to do something and had some one tell me what i do wrong/right that would be a HUGE plus. when i went to that fair when i found this guy putting on a demo my sister couldnt pull me away (she was my ride home so eventully i had to leave) watching and talking to this guy while he was doing his demo was very educational i loved it

something crossed my mind are you guys talking about neutral or a reducing atmosphere? or is it something different? i have read and learned a little are you talking about the flame burning all in or partly out and mix of O2? where ya tell by looking at flame leaving the forge? i have read some about that just never heard it as "heat" always atmosphere and correct me if i am wrong but isnt it one or the other neutral or reducing? not both or "neutral to reducing" its been a while that was one of the first things some one online suggested i read up on

oh ok thats why i have a propane forge the only way i ever heard it referred as is atmosphere...to be honest i could probily use a lil refresher course like i said i read about that when i first started with this it hasnt been that long a little less that a year since i read anything about that but i have read / watched vids /ect...ALOT between now and then. I started slow about a year ago with this but about 4 months ago lets say i sudenly had ALOT more free time so i have read and done alot the past few months