I Forge Iron

Big blades at the Gathering

Stormcrow

On the trek between San Antonio and Las Vegas, I stopped at a rest area in central Arizona to get some photos of the forged blades I took to the Gathering. And now I'm finally posting the pics.  :)

This cleaver was a commission to be picked up at the show, but it came back with me to get some Kydex pants. Blade is approximately 14 1/2" long, forged from 80CrV2, integral socket handle, retina-searing neon lime paracord wrap.

g7chopper_zpstrzctvp1.jpg

Next up a couple of long-handled cleavers in 5160 and more retina-searing citrus paracord. Both the blades and handles are around 10" long.

g7cleavers_zps6gnbrhq6.jpg

A big bush sword with an 18 1/4" blade, fully sharpened top edge, in 5160 and tan paracord.

g7bushsword_zpsltcgjgw7.jpg

And a shot of it in hand.

g7bushsword02_zpso9l5kl8r.jpg

And finally, a couple that I felt was an interesting project, a long-handled wakizashi/short-bladed katana and tanto daisho, forged from 5160 with retina-searing neon orange paracord underlays. The waki's blade is about 18" and the handle is about 12", while the tanto's blade is about 9".

g7daisho_zpsmu884q47.jpg

The wakizashi straightened a fair amount in the quench, something I expected and compensated for with extra curvature beforehand. I documented it this time. At the point where the blade reaches the edge of the anvil face, it has dropped about 1/4".

negsori1_zpsqlkgyshe.jpg

negsori2_zpsh1hc7xwq.jpg

And I had a stack of 15" Woodsman and Wrecker tomahawks.  I so appreciate my wife's help at the show!

allie_zpsv5t2ythx.jpg

Thank y'all!

LibrariaNPC - They're Turk's head knots.  I'll dig up a link to the animation that helped me learn how to do them.

Some more fun pics from the show:

About fifteen minutes before the end of the show, Pat Pruitt was talking with us while examining a Woodsman 'hawk and all of a sudden we noticed blood.

bloody_zpsaodjj74v.jpg

Fortunately, my wife is a nurse, and with the help of a first aid kit that the Broadwells had prudently brought along, managed to get him patched up.

DJ Urbanovsky of American Kami with his awesome S6 sword made from S7 steel:

djurbanovski_zpsz87leh95.jpg

Ben Tendick of BRT Bladeworks with my waki/tanto daisho:

bentendick_zpszsxu9jnr.jpg

Me with one of Kiku Matsuda's big blades (loved the handle on this thing):

kiku_zps1uxdflaa.jpg

David Brown of Buy Brown Industries with my 18 1/4" bladed bush sword and a 15" Wrecker 'hawk:

davidbrown_zpsjefnn5ju.jpg

David has huge hands.  I wear a size 14 1/2 ring.  This is one of his skull rings rattling around my wedding band:

bigring_zpsknyxlhcj.jpg

Here we go:

http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/Aturkhed.html

It took me probably thirty tries to get the first one while watching the animation over and over again, and I probably messed that one up too.  But I have no natural skill with knots and braiding, so if you do it should be easier.