I Forge Iron

What Anvils do I have--Please help me identify

Hi,

I'm new here and just started forging recently. I acquired two anvils. One has Hay Budden and 130 stamped on it (the measured weight is also 130#), also there is either a "3" or an "8" below the horn and some other marking on the foot.---Please see the attached photos. The anvil is about 11" tall, just less than 4" wide. and 27" from horn to heel.

The other one does not any manufacture stamp. It does have the number 150 on it, the measured weight is just over 200lb including the I-beam it's mounted on, so the anvil itself is most likely 150lb as marked. I cannot take pictures of the bottom of the foot because it's mounted, but there seems to be a letter "V" near one foot. This anvil is also 11" tall and just under 4" wide, the length is 29".

Any info on the make, year, material or any other insight is greatly appreciated!

Ted

Sorry the photo sequence came out backwards, the first 5 pictures are the unknown anvil. The rest belong to the Hay Budden.

DSC04807.JPG

DSC04804.JPG

DSC04803.JPG

DSC04802.JPG

DSC04800.JPG

DSC04826.JPG

DSC04825.JPG

DSC04818.JPG

DSC04814.JPG

DSC04812.JPG

DSC04811.JPG

DSC04810.JPG

Edited by tzhao

Welcome aboard Ted glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

The HB looks to be in really nice shape, have you done a rebound test on it? It will allow you to evaluate the condition of the face and detect any places where it may be coming delaminated. Dropping a ball bearing from a given height and eyeball estimating how far it rebounds tells the story. You can do similar with a small smooth faced hammer, ball peins are perfect. A specific rebound height isn't as important so long as it's at least 50%,  finding dead spots shows spots where the face plate has come unwelded from the body.

The anvil with the rougher face is a better candidate for using a light hammer.

I'm going to let someone else say what they think the maker of that one is.

Frosty The Lucky.