I Forge Iron

Howdy,

Introducing myself again beings that I haven't been on in a couple years. I live in Crocker MO now though so hopefully I can meet up with some of the local guys soon. I already started contacting BAM and we'll see how that goes.

I just got an old Canedy - Otto forge for a good price, plus labor. I'm currently restoring it to working order so expect pictures in the next couple of days. I would be interested if anyone knew any info about this forge in particular. Its not a BB size and it doesn't have one of the big Royal or Western Chief blowers. I've only found two other ones online and no info. Any help would be appreciated. Looks like a decent little rivet forge, and just for clarification the extension was added after market.

Thanks guys.

IMG_20150729_160335_141.jpg

I know its hard to tell in that picture but its cast. Lots of pitting and one hell of a cack though. It says on the forge to clay before use, but I fear the last owner did not. Part of my restoration will also be modification/upgrading so that I will stop it from cracking anymore and won't need to clay it.

I might be missing something, but did I not put my local in the header?

IMG_20150729_160354_395.jpg

Ouch, that actually looks worse than mine. Good thing getting coal here is hard enough I don't bother trying.

Nope, no location in your header. Click on your Avatar. In the upper right of the window that opens click "Edit Profile" scroll down to location and put what you like. Heck put almost anything anywhere so long as it's not obscene.

Anyway, "save" and it's a done deal. Every now and then I change my "Title" for fun or fair warning. :ph34r:

Frosty the Lucky.

It's a good deal, you ought to try finding one here for almost any price. I shipped mine up. If I knew which was the right coal vein and could talk some youngsters into digging and packing for me I'd probably just pull the tuyere off mine and build a new forge pan.

All the air blast hardware bolts to the pan so cutting a 1/4" x 24" disk or whatever shape table and welding a 2" rim on it to bolt the air blast hardware too is just too easy. Certainly a LOT easier than trying to weld up a crack that is almost all the way across the cast pan.

I'm dialed in with propane and can make charcoal if I want to so the coal can rest in peace. . . For now.

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh I'm definitely not trying to fill in the crack, just welding the rotor in enough so I don't have to worry about anything shifting around. I intend to keep the bolts working so I can continue to break it down like it currently is. Its sitting in a corner after I stopped yesterday, it looks sad not put together.