I Forge Iron

Shaping refractory in my 55 gal forge

Braddock M.

Alright so I made a thread a while back when I started but it disappeared a few months ago, I took all your tips and modified it a bunch and now I'm pretty much done.

So its half a 55gal drum on a generator cart with a big shop vac and variable router speed controller, with some tables for tools. I've got a fence post(i know about the galvanized hazards) tuyere which I moved up 3 inches from the bottom where I first had it.

And I just finished laying my mixture of 6:5 sand clay. I added a few access points as well. I trade to lay the refractory in a trench design with a bowl in the middle as my main forging area. I plan on plugging trench holes most of the time. I like the idea of forging machetes so the full length will be good for heat treating I presume.

It looks deep right now but my clay is pretty moist and will shrink about a half inch I'm sure. Does it look decent so far? Looks like it'll be a good charcoal forge?

IMG_20150723_194041.jpg

IMG_20150723_194032.jpg

IMG_20150723_193931.jpg

IMG_20150723_193916.jpg