I Forge Iron

Joining sections for long railings

AlmonteIron

Hey folks,

I have a commission for a long curved staircase railing. This means multiple sections and joined together on site. I don't want to have to weld together so I'm looking for a clever way to join the sections that results in a clean and elegant and reasonably seamless connection between the sections. What have you guys done to solve this? Ideally, would like to make the top handrail out of cold-textured (under power hammer) 1" round solid bar. 

What have you guys found works well for joining long sections of railings and handrail?

Thanks,

Randy

One post, in one location is plenty , your other post has been removed.

So do you drill & tap and fasten with bolts from the underside?

I'm in Ontario, Canada. My local building code doesn't seem to specify a requirement that I can see. I've done before at this width of handrail and had no issue with the building inspectors.  What is the width you need in the states?

Thanks very much Arftist for your post. I do think that will work nicely.

Randy

1-1/4" is the minimum dimension in the US. 2" max from what I remember. I've seen the cap overlap the previous under channel and get bolted/screwed on a number of occasions. I vaguely remember one old set of rails where they may have done the connection with tenons that they heated with a torch and peened over and hammer finished to match the texture on the cap rails. I can't remember tonight if that was just making the connection to the newel post or was at a joint in the cap. I may be over at that location later this week. I'll try and remember to take some picts.

Can you please explain this a bit further? 

Lap your sections, drill at least two to four holes through the lapped areas; more may be needed if you have a large rail.  Countersink each side of the holes (what can be seen, not the hidden surfaces) then place copper rivets in place and squeeze them cold to upset into the countersinks.  File or sand away anything that stands proud.  This can also make a nice accent color to the iron.