I Forge Iron

Gentlemen,

Should a hammer rebound off the heel (to the rear of the hardie hole) as well as the face?  What about the table?  Where should it rebound from?  I've temporarily mounted my PW and the rebound seems to be excellent off the face, good off the table, but non-existent off the heel.

Thanks!

Just tried my PW it has rebound on the face between the hardie hole and end of the heel but not as much as the main face .I think size may also play a part due to mass under the heel this Pw is around 470lbs,when I tried my other anvil 160lbs it had very little rebound at heel end and its forged steel.I would not worry too much about it you probably will not be using that section for serious forging anyway.

Be the hit of the party at the next anvil owner's get-together! These are one inch bearing balls i found on the net. Easily entertained, i found myself rebound testing lots of things on the farm. The anvils performed well, test materials that fled were excluded. Interestingly, when i offered the extras to some "Guild" members i was rewarded with blank stares even after demonstrating on an anvil. Talk about a less-than-festive atmosphere!

187.JPG

187.JPG