I Forge Iron

My Nagi-Dachi Tachi

JPH

Hello:

Here's a photo of a project piece..my "Nagi-Dachi Tachi"..It's a no Dachi length Tachi with a naginata atyle blade. This is right after a light etch to reveal the hada and hamon and is to be followed up by hand polishing to "brighten" everything up and to reveal any "activity" along the hamon transition line...It is a straight hamon...

This is the tsuka end of the blade showing the double Bo-Hi...

The blade is 34" long 1 3/8" wide and just under 1/4" thick...

Hope this pic works ok....

JPH

4381.attach

That's pretty cool - 'specially since many years ago, I studied naginata for a while. Was once an important battlefied weapon to the samurai but is now typically practiced by the women of Japan just as kendo is performed by men.

Used properly, it will keep a swordsman at bay with minimal effort - as will the yari (or spear). I hope you plan to haft it - it will be quite a show piece. Very nice work.

Hello:

Ok this is mounted as a Tachi...cause I just wanted it that way...on the grind they can be whatever the maker wanted..usually they are a mix between a flat and a cannel grind..very subtle convex grind to these...one of the reasons they slice so well....Chisel grinds were usually reserved for "lesser quality" blades and some tools...but they have been used fior swords but not common in that useage..

JPH