I Forge Iron

bolo swords

FRODO,

Those are pretty cool Brian, how do they hold an edge? Was his shop there too? Did you get to see him work?

I love seeing a minimalist shop, especially in action. Some of the best are in the 3rd. world, there have been videos posted here of smiths in Africa forging old car bodies on random blocks of steel with whatever hammer they had and turning out some darned decent blades. I believe the springs were turned into tools or high dollar blades for rich patrons. These were made from billets welded up from car body steel on dung fires blown with feather bellows by village or the smith's kids.

A while back there was a Discovery (I believe) program of a village smith who mined the ore, refined it in a bloomery and forged tools from the ingots.

I can't think of better examples for folk who believe they need THE right equipment.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

made by the Negrito of the Bugkalot tribe  a pygmy warrior who live in the jungle mountains  in Luzon philippines

these guys can strip a downed helecopter in a mater of minutes like a swarm of ants, before rescue can locate it.

all the rescue team finds is the wounded,,,cared for, the dead, covered, and trash..LOL  they leave nothing

true story.

the base commander hired the tribe to help guard the fence perimeter,  his deal with the chief is 20 lbs of rice for each Filipino caught sneaking thru the wire

the Negrito, call, entice, bribe, the locals to try and crawl thru.  the next morning,  bodies were hung/displayed on the fence

the chief was smiling,,,proud of his accomplishments.

the base commander,  was freaked out  [official military term]  at what he saw. so he fired the chief and his tribe.

the very next morning, all the military police that were on guard on the flight line.

[the base had f-4 fighters and B-52's for Vietnam support]

had a white chalk X on the heal of their boot.  

the chief asked the commander if he was sure his tribe was not needed...

they were given their job back,

did not see his forge,