I Forge Iron

Found a 1918 220lbs fisher anvil

I found a 1918 fisher 220lb anvil that's in pretty decent shape it has some chips on it. I would post the link but it's on craiglist and you know how this site is with links. The guy wants $700.00 for it, i am  very tempted to go look at it and buy it. I wish i could post a link to it so you guys could look at it. Well here is the link you can copy and paste it.   http://reading.craigslist.org/tls/5010074296.html

Condition doesn't look all that bad to me. I've certainly seen a lot worse. Price wise I don't think it's unreasonable. I'd certainly like to pay less, but it's not much over $3 a pound. If it was much less you'd probably have to fight me for it. It's only about 45 minutes to an hour from me. LOL

Fishers are nice anvils. I love my little 50 lb one and that's not a bad size. If I didn't have anvils right on either side of that one already, I'd be tempted.

You  might do yourself a favor and add your location to your profile so we know where you are at. There's a number of members in the general area. You might also want to join PABA (Pennsylvania artist blacksmith assn.) if you haven't already. Many of us in the area are members.

http://www.pabasite.org/

https://www.facebook.com/PABlacksmiths

Edited by DSW

Roll on on over there with some Benjaimins and make an offer, don't do it over the phone. Offer what is comfortable for you to afford, and don't be afraid to walk away from it. Test it for rebound, and delamination first, chat him up a little letting him know that you are getting into smithing, then make your offer. A lot of times once they know that you are picking up the craft they are more willing to work with you. If you come off as a dealer, or a professional they figure you have more money to throw at things.

Don't  be afraid to start low, even really low depending on the vibe you get from chatting with him.

Looks like that far side that hasn't been pictured is pretty chewed up. If the drive isn't too bad I'd be really talking him down as the price seems a little steep to me. 

I think a better anvil could be had at a similar or more reasonable price, though I have no idea how anvil rich your area is. 

All the best 

Andy

I think a better anvil could be had at a similar or more reasonable price, though I have no idea how anvil rich your area is.

There's a fair number of anvils in the area, but the Amish and Mennonites tend to run prices up many times. So do a lot of the antiques dealers in the area. The family I rent my shop space from are clearing out the last of the stuff from the old business, and sending it all out to auction out that way to Lancaster. The Mennonite who runs the auction just about fell over himself drooling over my 3 anvils, my big swage block, all my tongs, my 3 post vices and my 2 forges. He REALLY wanted them to go to auction ( hence the reason I was there the day he came so I made sure all my stuff stayed.) He knew he could get top dollar for all my forging stuff at the auction with all the Amish and Mennonites in the area he's at.

I've run into those guys at a couple of auctions. They'll run older converted belt driven tools sky high, with many times beat units bringing close to what they would new. As long as they save a few bucks, they are happy.

There's a fair number of anvils in the area, but the Amish and Mennonites tend to run prices up many times. So do a lot of the antiques dealers in the area. The family I rent my shop space from are clearing out the last of the stuff from the old business, and sending it all out to auction out that way to Lancaster. The Mennonite who runs the auction just about fell over himself drooling over my 3 anvils, my big swage block, all my tongs, my 3 post vices and my 2 forges. He REALLY wanted them to go to auction ( hence the reason I was there the day he came so I made sure all my stuff stayed.) He knew he could get top dollar for all my forging stuff at the auction with all the Amish and Mennonites in the area he's at.

I've run into those guys at a couple of auctions. They'll run older converted belt driven tools sky high, with many times beat units bringing close to what they would new. As long as they save a few bucks, they are happy.

​Fair enough. It's quite hard to offer advice as things are just so different over here in the UK. 

At the end of the day if you can afford it then buy it. I'm a hard negotiator, I'll never pay full price if I can avoid it. $500 would be my preferred price to pay. But as I said, that far edge looks pretty beaten up. If you don't need it I'd be very tempted to pass it up. 

There's 3 Fisher anvils I know of in the UK. I have one and a friend of mine has another. The third was bigger than both of them and was too far away for me to go for. I can certainly understand the appeal if that's what you're after. 

Andy

Edited by Everything Mac