I Forge Iron

The Mosaic billets I promised to show

EdCaffreyMS

Not sure if I'm doing this correctly, but if not, hopefully Glenn or one of the moderators with jump in here and correct it.

Here are three of the four billets of Mosaic Damascus that I finished up this past week, and promised to post here. The pattern on the fourth billet was so fine and tight that I just couldn't seem to get a good image of it. That one was built specifically for folders, so hopefully when the folder is completed I'll get it posted up for those who are interested.

Billet #1:
"Celtic Knot" pattern:

Billet #2: A billet of Modified "W" pattern...

Billet #3, A billet of Multiple Radial Pattern...

4251.attach

4252.attach

4253.attach

The next time I produce some of the W pattern, I'll have to remember to take the camera with me to the shop.....without pictures to follow, it would likely be impossible to follow how to make it from scratch. All of the patterns pictured involve a number of "re-stacks"/re-welds to accomplish. The waste factor is very high on this type of Mosaic too....generally about 50%-60% of each billet ends up as waste. In order to save some of that waste, I often will keep the cut-outs from the accordion folding and "can weld" them with 1084 powder to help recoup some of the lost material.