I Forge Iron

Safe etching

I read that I can use vinegar and fruit juice (fresh) like kiwi juice, to etch; but can I etch a picture using them? From what I read on this forum, they didn't etch anything really, just show a random pattern. Is there a way that I can isolate the acids to etch a picture, using vinegar or juice? See, I am 17 almost 18, still live at home and my mother won't let me get the chemicals to do it; and I would prefer not to have to use them if I don't have to.

You can boils down vinegar to make a stronger acid to etch. Make sure it is carbon steel if it is stainless it will not work. Use nail polish to act as a block on the area around where you want to etch and just have your picture and initials bare. It will take a few times do a coat leave for a while the wash of if it is not enough repeat until you get it the way you want than use nail polish remover to clean the blade.

Good luck
Bob

That sounds cool, I'll ask my father about that. See I was telling my father about this cool forum I found and brought up my question, he said to wax the blade and then draw your image in the wax with something, making sure that it removed the wax completely from that area. Then put it in your vinegar. Next time I'll just ask my father first then post and ask opinions about it. Thank you all very much!!!!:)

As Jmercier said, electroetching is safe. Do a search on it on google. There are some methods that use a resist, which keeps the etchant from etching unintended parts. There is also a pretty safe acid paste available that may work. I have a family member that used to etch glass with it. Search etching, chemical etching etc.

have fun

aaron c

You can boils down vinegar to make a stronger acid to etch. Make sure it is carbon steel if it is stainless it will not work. Use nail polish to act as a block on the area around where you want to etch and just have your picture and initials bare. It will take a few times do a coat leave for a while the wash of if it is not enough repeat until you get it the way you want than use nail polish remover to clean the blade.

Good luck
Bob

If one boils vinegar.. doesn't the acid evaporate? or is the acid the only things that doesn't evaporate. .unlike the water and alcohol?

Have you made strong acid by boiling vinegar?