I Forge Iron

Flame type

stan

Is that a Turbotorch? It's about as tuned as it's going to get. It's only handicap is having to heat all the heavy fire brick. If I don't miss my estimation the volume is around 180+/- cu/in, well within the range of that size commercial burner.

If you replace the fire brick above the floor with soft, insulating fire brick the whole interior aught to get to high yellow heat in around 5-10 minutes.

It's hard to tell with how cameras alter glowing colors but the bar you're heating in the pic looks to be at or darned near welding heat. Of course cameras tend to make glowing stuff look brighter than they are so I could be way off.

In short, I'm thinking you have a good working setup as she sets. A little insulating fire brick will make it more efficient, hotter and faster to heat up.

.Frosty The Lucky.

You can always read the propane burner section here on Iforge if you'd like to build one, its pretty easy and I'm always more than happy to lend a hand.

Goodness knows that monster laying on your anvil is WAY too much gun for that little forge, I'm thinking it's about right for a 1,500 to 2,000 cu/in furnace. I DO like the propane preheat coil though it really makes the burn more efficient. It's just too . . . holy COW way too big!

The size of your forge as it stands and having insulating brick would work well with a 1/2" NA burner but a 3/4" one would make it a savage. Do you have a drill press? That makes building one of my T burners pretty easy and they're pretty effective for around $10.00 in plumbing parts and one mig contact tip.

.Frosty The Lucky.

The how to is in the gas forge section. The pictures show the way I used to mount the mig tip, I'll describe how I do it now. Maybe I can find a post where I've done so already and link you to it. Lord knows I've described the build enough times.

If you can't find enough, let me know I'm around most of the time.

.Frosty The Lucky.