I Forge Iron

Nimba question

to all who have used the nimba anvils, i do alot of decoritve iron work, railings banisters, and fireplace pieces. i am looking at a centurion or a gladiator.  is it worth going to the gladiator or will the centurion work.   i know most older smiths like Frances W. never used an anvil over 150#.  just wanting thoughts from guys who have used both sizes.

If not a question of money, I would go for the Gladiator. on the double horn anvils you have the variable width feature given by the pyramidal horn, a feature missing on the London pattern, on which you would need a narrower face from time to time, especially for ornamental working. on that Gladiator you have also the advantage of very wide face (Nimbas are in fact Italian pattern anvils). from the moment I've got a double horn anvil, I don't use the rectangular faced single horn anvils too often.

anyway, the Centurion is big enough (surface, weight)

In my opinion the optimal anvil size is not so much based upon the type of work you do as it is the size of work you do.  For anything up to, for instance, 3/4" square stock, the Centurion should be perfectly fine.  If you sometimes work stock larger than that, the larger anvil might be nice.