I Forge Iron

Portable band saw vertical mount and table build.

Finally got my band saw the way I want it. This is the Chicago Electric Variable speed portable. Vertical mount and table make this an invaluable tool in my shop, I just clamp it to my work bench. It'll cut just about anything I need. 

I did a build video on the table to add to the ones that are already out there, just for grins. You can skip to the 8min mark to see it working.

Edited by norrin_radd

I have the same/similar HF saw mounted on a post in my shop - one word to the wise I learned the hard way, if you're going to keep the cover on it (which I do advise) cut a small section out of it along the very bottom, bottom right in your setup.  Otherwise as you saw the iron filings and tiny pieces end up lodged down there and will eventually jam up your blade, they need an opening to free fall from (In my case since it's mounted on a post they just fall to the ground).  I just sliced off a maybe 4' wedge off the bottom of my cover, reinstalled the cover and have not had an issue with it since.   The saw is obviously designed to be used horizontally, not vertically, so it's an accomodation that is necessary if you're going to be primarily using it vertically. 

Edited by SpankySmith

Zooker, glad you liked it and by all means go for it. Let us know how it turns out.

I have the same/similar HF saw mounted on a post in my shop - one word to the wise I learned the hard way, if you're going to keep the cover on it (which I do advise) cut a small section out of it along the very bottom, bottom right in your setup.  Otherwise as you saw the iron filings and tiny pieces end up lodged down there and will eventually jam up your blade, they need an opening to free fall from (In my case since it's mounted on a post they just fall to the ground).  I just sliced off a maybe 4' wedge off the bottom of my cover, reinstalled the cover and have not had an issue with it since.   The saw is obviously designed to be used horizontally, not vertically, so it's an accomodation that is necessary if you're going to be primarily using it vertically. 

​You are very right thanks for mentioning it. I forgot to about that but I too found that out the hard way. If you look in that first pic you can see the cover laying on my bench and you can barely tell that I had cut the corner off(towards the top of the pic) of it so I could get the shavings out. I've also learned that if the blade starts to slip that a little re dressing of the bottom wheel, just enough to get some of the embedded filings out will help alot. I used the long dull edge of a wood chisel.

I've been thinking about remaking my vertical mount, this was just something I threw together, that's why I didn't focus too much on it. I'd like to incorporate a few more ideas like a hinge on the cover, some T-knobs for the cover screws and maybe a brush system to try to keep some filings off the wheels. I'm sure its all been done before but its a fun little project. This saw quickly became one of my most used tools, I may have to permanently mount it somewhere.

thanks for the comments