I Forge Iron

Peter Wright Anvil?

Didn`t want to put this in the peter wright section  until its 100%.Anvil has no marking that I can see because of damage or miss use.Does have a H on the front r/h foot.I estimate the weight at 470 lbs.Total length is 3 foot 3inches.Height is 1 foot 3 and a half, face width is 5 and 3/4 inches, hardy hole 11/2 in sq. pritchel hole 3/4.

And what does the bottom look like?

​Hi Thomas, can not see much on the bottom.Do have pictures of a similar anvil which is clearly marked as a peter wright although it measured  a couple inches shorter.

There were over 200 known anvil makers in England many of them making quite similar anvils as many of them trained in someone else's shop and then set out on their own.

Age: most probably  Post 1820's and pre 1940's I'd guess around 100-120 years in general.

​Thanks did not realize there were so many makers.As to the damage on the base area, I was once told some smiths use to test chisels etc on the feet of anvils.

We have the luck that a gentleman by the name of Richard Postman researched and published a book called "Anvils in America" and has gone on researching them, He also published one on just the  "Mousehole Forge" and has been talking of doing an update as he discovers more makers.  He often sets up at one of our major conferences doing anvil ID and documenting ones he hasn't seen before.  (He's the one who put a name to the bottom half of an anvil I have using the configuration of the feet, the handling holes and the weight stamp to give a reasoned guess that it was a PW---it's part of my Wall of Shame abused anvil examples)

Mr Postman told me he had documented over 200 anvil makers in England.  I have anvils from 3 English makers myself: Powell, William Foster and Peter Wright and I don't collect the things---they are all using anvils.

Edited by ThomasPowers

We have the luck that a gentleman by the name of Richard Postman researched and published a book called "Anvils in America" and has gone on researching them, He also published one on just the  "Mousehole Forge" and has been talking of doing an update as he discovers more makers.  He often sets up at one of our major conferences doing anvil ID and documenting ones he hasn't seen before.  (He's the one who put a name to the bottom half of an anvil I have using the configuration of the feet, the handling holes and the weight stamp to give a reasoned guess that it was a PW---it's part of my Wall of Shame abused anvil examples)

Mr Postman told me he had documented over 200 anvil makers in England.  I have anvils from 3 English makers myself: Powell, William Foster and Peter Wright and I don't collect the things---they are all using anvils.

​Thanks yeah I`m not a anvil collector either but I have been searching for the right one or two, think I got the"wright" one now.